MapHook Launches First Social Discovery Mapping App
Curated Content from Twitter, Yelp, Groupon, Wikipedia, Foursquare and Yahoo News Combined Into One Location-Based App
Washington, DC, July 14, 2014 -- MapHook, a mobile app dedicated to helping people find, organize and share interesting activities by location, today launched its new social navigation and discovery mapping application. MapHook is the first mapping app to generate up-to-date content from popular sources like Yelp, Wikipedia and Groupon along with the most recent trends from Twitter, Foursquare and Yahoo so that it's easily accessible in one app based on a user's location. The app empowers users to quickly search around them to find, learn and share current information about places, events and trending news near and important to them. Users can download the app for free on both the iTunes and Google Play.
The new MapHook application features include:
- Brand-new "Liquid Social Discovery" user interface, including a fresh, intuitive and fluid design for presentation of both core map features and innovative social features that put the power of multiple information sources seamlessly on the display.
- Trending news, events and popular locations from Foursquare, Twitter and Yahoo.
- Informational "hooks" from top sources like Yelp, Groupon and Wikipedia about nearby locations in addition to custom hooks added by users and their friends.
- Integration with MapHook's "CultureHook" project. Interesting content imported and displayed in the app from open data sources.
- Faster engine for smoother app navigation.
- "HookStream" dashboard, found on the home page, featuring real-time streams of informational "hooks" displayed nearby for faster/easier viewing of information.
- Ability to share trends and user hooks from the "HookStream" dashboard over a user's social network and by email.
- Offline mode for creating and saving hooks while away from a wireless connection.
- New search capabilities including advance filtering and on-map and on-list quick search.
"To date, map based apps have been limited in the features that they provide users - some are good at getting users around and others are good at allowing them to check into their favorite locations," said Dr. Paul Carter, President and CEO at MapHook. "Even with innovations like crowdsourced data, these apps have done a poor job of pulling together all of the rich content available to users based on their location. Today's launch of the new MapHook app gives users one clean and simple app to access curated information and trending activity about the places and events most important to them while letting them also tell their own story."
MapHook is a location-based social discovery app that empowers users to find, learn and share up-to-date, curated information about the places, events and trending news near and important to them. MapHook was created by MapHook, Inc. a software applications development firm based in Dulles, VA. For more information, please visit www.maphook.com.
Allie Tedone / Tim Williams